Superior

Author Topic: Mathematicians on the LoTT  (Read 374 times)

MickyP

Mathematicians on the LoTT
« on: January 09, 2018, 12:19:17 AM »
Law of the third (LoTT) states that on average one third of roulette numbers will not appear in 37 spins (single zero wheel). This is a statistical fact that governs the way many system are designed and played.
Now, keeping to the single zero roulette wheel and breaking the numbers down into finals, will the LoTT still apply to the ten groups of numbers? Will using ten groups of numbers require ten spins to determine the LoTT?
How will the fact that the groups do not have an equal amount of numbers influence the stats?

If the wheel is divided into equal parts barring the zero, let's say 12 parts of three numbers each; will the LoTT apply more favourably to this situation over twelve spins?

Reyth

• Global Moderator
Re: Mathematicians on the LoTT
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:26:27 AM »
I have not researched finals very much.  Removing the zero will definitely affect the results.  The way to find out how the numbers roll out is to run tests over varying spin amounts.  Dobble would be perfect for this kind of thing.

I have to assume that the 12 parts will perform exactly the same as the 36 numbers (minus the zero), requiring 37 spins (and slightly less) to achieve the 1/3rd average.

People like Mike and Kav (and everyone else here) who do maths can come up with results without trials.

Like in this thread and this post.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:43:16 AM by Reyth »

The following users thanked this post: MickyP

MickyP

Re: Mathematicians on the LoTT
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:18:20 AM »
Thanks Reyth. The thread and post you directed me to have been very helpful in understanding the LoTT a bit better.
I have learnt that variance is the spoil sport in being able to effectively use the law of the third as a solid tool in a system but is still effective as a route marker.

The following users thanked this post: Reyth