Author Topic: The strange case of Gambler's Glen  (Read 1597 times)

kav

• www.Roulette30.com
  • Administrator
The strange case of Gambler's Glen
« on: March 01, 2016, 09:57:45 AM »
Once upon a time the internet was new and there were not as many sites as today.
And there was a gambling forum with a very active roulette community. It was called the Gambler's Glen.
There were strange people there.

Some hysterical ego maniacs, some very helpful roulette tester programmers and many others with various hidden agendas. All kinds of people claiming that they have beaten the game either by roulette computers or by reading patterns and what you have not.

Moderation was almost non-existent. So the personal attacks were rampant. It was really that bad. There were posts upon posts with disputes, accusations and mine-is-bigger-than-yours debates.

But it was an active forum. The most active of all. And yes, I was an active member of it. There was always something new to read even if it was some BS claim. Yes, people were coming back for more BS and personal debates. Which after time get repetitive. After all, there is only so much BS one can say about himself or about others. But the forum had many visitors. It seemed people couldn't get enough of it - go figure.

And not everything was bad. Among its many members there were some who really cared about the game more than their egos. There was TurboGenius, posting a new system every other day, there was a very knowledgable, kind and mysterious man from Spain called Marigny du Chateau (from Marigny de Grilleau and Henry Chateau the roulette researchers) and others. There was also a monthly competition, where anyone could submit their systems and then JBoyd333 would test all the systems and then announce the results and the winner.

Over the years, new forums have been created. My favorite was called Vip Lounge or something like that. It was a forum with intelligent members and not name calling. Yet Gambler's Glen remained top in terms of new posts and visitors. As bad money drives out the good, the quality of GG kept deteriorating. Foreign language gambling forums started and some knowledgable people from Europe prefered their own language forums.

New english forums were created.With moderate success. Then an arrogant, megalomaniac smart-ass started buying these forums with hard cash, in order to promote his overpriced, useless roulette computers. And right now he owns most of the roulette forums. And roulette players keep posting on them.

Today the owner and admin of GG is awol and the GG forum is practically dead. The main reason it is dead is some crash on the servers that happened and not the lack of moderation, since there wasn't any to begin with.

But there are lessons to be learned from the history of GG.
Most roulette players (at least those who write on forums) have big egos. It is easier to write more posts about you or others than about the game. Even BS can attract visitors.

In any case I know that I do not want this place to become a GG full of personal debates. I have seen it and I didn't liked it.
This is not a place about your opinion about you or others. This a place about roulette. And when one replies to a post, one does not have to address the poster, but just what is written in the post. If you want to pick a fight go somewhere else.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:40:33 PM by kav »

dobbelsteen

Re: The strange case of Gambler's Glen
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 10:19:12 AM »
I agree with you Kav. I have switch from one forum to another  to find the peaple who are really interested in sharing their knowledge and experience. As a retired teacher I was and  am very interested in my students or followers.I like a sharp discussion but I do not discus with unfair criticasters. On every forum you can meet participants who  enjoy polluting the discussions.

Real

• Fighting the war on absurdity one foolish idea at a time.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
Gambler's Glen went down because the admin disappeared.  People could no longer register or retreive passwords.

kav

• www.Roulette30.com
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 07:39:15 PM »
Gambler's Glen went down because the admin disappeared.  People could no longer register or retrieve passwords.
True

Birima

• New
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 06:35:17 PM »
That forum was interesting and often hilarious, funny and political incorrect. I loved it and some of these characters came  alive like reading a novel. 

kav

• www.Roulette30.com
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »
That forum was interesting and often hilarious, funny and political incorrect. I loved it and some of these characters came  alive like reading a novel. 
I remember more polemic and less fun.
But yes it was interesting in a soap opera kind of way.
IMO, in the last years it was a waste of time for someone who was really interested to learn about roulette.

Birima

• New
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 11:29:47 AM »
Remember Spike(educated guess), Mark Howe, Arte, and always wondered the character behind Nathan Detroit.

Cannot help it Kav, I enjoyed the incorrectness of many conversations.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 11:33:48 AM by Birima »

kav

• www.Roulette30.com
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »
Arte was a great member. He now runs a forum in his language (Italian or French) if I am correct.

kris

• New
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 04:07:38 PM »
But there is a Gambler's Glen Message Boards now, isn't it? Or these two aren't connected?

MrBac

• New
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 10:54:33 PM »
The other gamblersglenn faded to oblivion, the original gamblersglen was great, you had to be thick skinned to participate there.  Between the waffle, insults, scam-artists, threats and what not, there were some great reads, fantastic entertainment.  Learned a lot from it as a newbie back in the day; certainly in respect of all the different types of progressions, stats, maths, you name it. 

A great site, most probably will be gone by years end when the lease runs out.

FYI VIP lounge was also known as Project Sydney, another VG board. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:43:14 AM by MrBac »

The following users thanked this post: kav