Author Topic: Reading the News  (Read 2508 times)

Ringmaster

• New
Reading the News
« on: November 10, 2015, 03:49:18 AM »
  (Episode 1) Reading the News
Spinning out the News every day, the most written about travel destinations and some storm warnings, sporting results constantly updated, exciting and refreshed real estate available for short term lease with great potential returns on investment.
Free snacks, drinks and if you invest wisely, and attract the right sort of attention you may be invited to an inner sanctum of privilege or offered an all expenses (conditional) holiday to some exotic location.
At this vibrant news stand you will share space with winsome (lose-some) beauties who will assist with your portfolio management in the twinkle of an eye, and other assorted news hounds, including a few of your own species.
Reading the latest bulletins in 'The Daily Chance” and delivered in that universal language Numeroll (sometimes known as Exasperanto!!!)
There is the broad “EXELlent” section where the days latest stocks can be graphed analyzed and mulled over. To take the shorts, do you 'Carre' for potential gains or go to hell and “Black”Ah, Decisions, decisions!!!!!
The Race is about to start, we jockey for position at the barrier, ready to make the news in real-time, the form guide suggests that number seven should be favorite, a last start winner for sure, but it looks a bit puny against its musclebound neighbors 28 and 29, and the third columnists have dozens of options.
Wait a minute, what is that you say, there are races going on all day?
That's great, I might sit this one out then, and just check the headlines ticker panel There you go, what did I tell you, 7 was carrying too much weight of expectation, and glided past nine places down the track.
I have been observing the characters who seem slightly OOPS, you know the Out Of Place Seniors, and one particularly has attracted my attention.
He is quite senior, must be Foreign, Swedish perhaps, and is singularly focussed on a small graph card he seems to be recording with numeric memos.
Observation, his hands seem quite gnarled, strong, nutmeg brown from outdoor work, could be a farmer, park ranger or possibly a Fisherman.
He disappears into the crowd, and I cannot see him any more,
I am looking around, strangely disappointed he is gone, as there was something curious about his slightly aloof and disembodied manner.
“You look a bit lost son” -a voice at my elbow, “Need a Compass maybe?”
I turned to face the Question. This stranger was laughing silently at my predicament. “The esteemed gentleman you were spying on, I now his name, if that helps.” -I could hardly contain my answer, “Yes Please, if you could, I would really appreciate the information.”
“That was SteppenWolf,”
                           he told me,
                 “And he is writing tomorrows News”
I look forward to that, I thought, I wonder if he will be right. (TBC)

Reyth

• Global Moderator
Re: Reading the News
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 04:04:10 AM »
WOOT!: D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:58:12 PM by Reyth »

Ringmaster

• New
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 04:18:35 AM »
Thanx Reyth, wow, you must be up late too!
I thought that putting a bit of FUN back into the forum would be a great way to introduce all sorts of research, systems, results and reactions, a bit of a Magical Mystery Tour with some Prizes in the plot                      Later.......Ringmaster.

Ringmaster

• New
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 03:34:07 AM »
  (Episode 2)     Red the News Today, O-Boy
A week later, and I return to the war-zone of the “Daily Chance”
Better not habituate this particular News-Stand too often or I may be mistaken for a dreaded Table Troll, you know the type, hovers within earshot, discusses market movers with anyone he thinks may offer him a stake, denigrates spans, spot market selections and strategies but never actually risks his roll-mop.
Pretender, how do I know you?, Easy, a cheap watch the frayed jeans (with) scruffy shoes and the shallow charm, and shallower aftershave, you exude around and over your next potential PA, (private accessory?), sorry Personal Accountant.
Amazing creatures that they are, can tell almost to the Euro the chip value of their next sugar daddy, er, sorry I meant to say PA, um, er, Professional Associate.
There is a strangely familiar face among the first line of protagonists, those early adopters of the best seats in the house, preparing their papers, pens and graphs like a legal cadre of barristers in the court of disputed returns.
This particular gentleman however, seems to be in contemplation, almost aloof, reverential, (at the altar of broken dreams) as the tellers prepare the tokens of truth for the session of day trading that is about to whirl into action.
Is he praying or whispering behind those weathered, steeped hands?
I watch, almost spellbound by the share trading, the nervous 'put' options, the first call market, the various treasury graphs rising and falling, the fluctuating concentration as each trade peaks and troughs in value round and round again.
The gentleman with the cravat and pin, (an ensemble worthy of comment) has not moved, nor shared the emotions swaying the table, for the first several results.
Now he strikes, casual but with purpose, measures out a stack of 10 (+2)
and insinuating his right arm down thru the forest of writhing contenders, deploys a decisive and calculated cast. Purple is his color, easy to see and follow from here
Snap, what a launch, smooth mid-pace, rotor speed similar, no early ball clatter, and CC, my personal preference of direction, perfect start, how will it end?
Last number was 6, too late for a margin call,
rien-ne-va-plus! bonne chance!
There you go, the latest figures are in, our dignified CD, Company Director to you
, (Cash Drawer to any roving PA) planted a picture in the press on page 32, and it repeated for him! “Congratulations on your Coup, Sir”, I could hardly stay silent being in the presence of and recognizing such a classic double play.
Then, as the second, larger chip-stack (with Gorillas on top) was slid across the playing field, he slow-winked at the croupier, and bowed his head (ever so slightly), then aligning his chair parallel with the table edge, he repeated the gesture to the left and then to the right.
He then turned his back to the table, and, as he spirited King Kong and his family into limbo, he slow-winked and deferentially bowed, (just slightly) directly toward me as I was now standing directly in front of him.
I smiled and bowed back, as courteously as I could muster.
Then it struck, Mr SteppenWolf himself, polished, poised and presented like a 30's matinée idol had responded to my cheer.
Can you forecast the next headline here? Later.......Ringmaster.

Reyth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 11:53:59 PM »
Rah! Rah! : D

december

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 05:52:00 AM »
"Yesterday's paper" ?

Ringmaster

• New
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 07:44:19 AM »
  (Episode 3) Calloo, Callay, This is my Day!!
The Gentleman I knew as Mr Steppenwolf, rose smoothly from his seat and came towards me, extending his hand. “My name is Vincent”
“ I knew I would find you here again soon,” he declared, “ I recognized you, before you recognized me, I was a student to your Grandfather, and we often travelled to the south of France together, after the Great War.”
“Let's get to the bar for a quick Schnapps, young Anton” he ordered.
“But, What will happen to your table bank?” I asked him, guardedly,
“No Value to anyone but me, my personal table-colour, purple, and they would be very nervous about repercussions from the man they refer to as Steppenwolf!.”
“Skoal, And I will share some history with you”
Then he told me a very strange tale indeed, regarding my Grandfather.
“He would chant softly, rubbing his hands together as the croupier spun the ball,

“White Rabbit, Rolling Rabbit, Run, Run, Run!”
Racing, Jumping, Bouncing just for, Fun, Fun, Fun!
Have set my net to snare you, and will Clap, Clap, Clap!,
Spinning down and tripping up, now trip, drop, TRAP!!!”

and, as it fell, he would clap his hands together, just once, like this, “CLAP!”
When it worked, and it did, regularly” he said, “your Grandfather would announce the same off-the-cuff remark, as if it were the News of the day,
“Claptrap to Victor”, and he would stand and bow to all points of the Compass, even if there was no-one to the North or West.”
I thought that was a funny thing to say, was Victor the rabbit? I did not think so, but it certainly did not refer to Grandfather, his first name was Anton, as is mine'
I remember that he was always dressed in a jacket and tie, sometimes a suit, when he went on his trips with the man I now know as Vincent.
As a child I remember his polished shoes, clean fingernails, a dark, iridescent blue tie that Mother had embossed with his initials, very discreet, in gold thread “AC” and the lingering scent of 'Aramis' as the door closed.
You will find very few with that suave demeanor of style in the salons nowadays.
She loved her Father, as much as I loved her, and while I admired my Father, for his hard work and tenacity when racing his “velocipedes rapides” on the dangerous but exciting Circuit Zandvoort in the dunes.
(In English that means Sand-Ford Racetrack, but to my ear the sensual phonetics of “Zh-arr-nnd-Vooort” are more romantic and comfortable, the original name was Sandevoerde, “szarn-day-vower-dey”and dates back to 1100AD.)
We never mentioned the dreaded Tunnel Oost, or Tarzan at home, and just writing it here brings back dark memories from the seventies.
He went to great lengths to prepare his machinery, as he was by trade, a mechanical engineer who raced the motorcycles he rebuilt and tuned himself, spending hours smeared with oil and grimed, tinkering in his workshop.
See how easily I get side-tracked?
That's the sort of free association that I engage in while playing roulette, I don't want to favour numbers or sections or get trapped into negativity.
I like to think I am open to new ideas, and lateral thinking.
(TBC)

dobbelsteen

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 09:26:35 AM »
From my kitchen I have a bright sight over the dunes of Zandvoort and the racing circuit. It is a piti that the last Grand Prix Formule one was in the eightys.The DTM and formula 3 are the importants races nowedays.

Reyth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 01:07:32 PM »
  (Episode 3) Calloo, Callay, This is my Day!!
The Gentleman I knew as Mr Steppenwolf, rose smoothly from his seat and came towards me, extending his hand. “My name is Vincent”
“ I knew I would find you here again soon,” he declared, “ I recognized you, before you recognized me, I was a student to your Grandfather, and we often travelled to the south of France together, after the Great War.”
“Let's get to the bar for a quick Schnapps, young Anton” he ordered.
“But, What will happen to your table bank?” I asked him, guardedly,
“No Value to anyone but me, my personal table-colour, purple, and they would be very nervous about repercussions from the man they refer to as Steppenwolf!.”
“Skoal, And I will share some history with you”
Then he told me a very strange tale indeed, regarding my Grandfather.
“He would chant softly, rubbing his hands together as the croupier spun the ball,

“White Rabbit, Rolling Rabbit, Run, Run, Run!”
Racing, Jumping, Bouncing just for, Fun, Fun, Fun!
Have set my net to snare you, and will Clap, Clap, Clap!,
Spinning down and tripping up, now trip, drop, TRAP!!!”

and, as it fell, he would clap his hands together, just once, like this, “CLAP!”
When it worked, and it did, regularly” he said, “your Grandfather would announce the same off-the-cuff remark, as if it were the News of the day,
“Claptrap to Victor”, and he would stand and bow to all points of the Compass, even if there was no-one to the North or West.”
I thought that was a funny thing to say, was Victor the rabbit? I did not think so, but it certainly did not refer to Grandfather, his first name was Anton, as is mine'
I remember that he was always dressed in a jacket and tie, sometimes a suit, when he went on his trips with the man I now know as Vincent.
As a child I remember his polished shoes, clean fingernails, a dark, iridescent blue tie that Mother had embossed with his initials, very discreet, in gold thread “AC” and the lingering scent of 'Aramis' as the door closed.
You will find very few with that suave demeanor of style in the salons nowadays.
She loved her Father, as much as I loved her, and while I admired my Father, for his hard work and tenacity when racing his “velocipedes rapides” on the dangerous but exciting Circuit Zandvoort in the dunes.
(In English that means Sand-Ford Racetrack, but to my ear the sensual phonetics of “Zh-arr-nnd-Vooort” are more romantic and comfortable, the original name was Sandevoerde, “szarn-day-vower-dey”and dates back to 1100AD.)
We never mentioned the dreaded Tunnel Oost, or Tarzan at home, and just writing it here brings back dark memories from the seventies.
He went to great lengths to prepare his machinery, as he was by trade, a mechanical engineer who raced the motorcycles he rebuilt and tuned himself, spending hours smeared with oil and grimed, tinkering in his workshop.
See how easily I get side-tracked?
That's the sort of free association that I engage in while playing roulette, I don't want to favour numbers or sections or get trapped into negativity.
I like to think I am open to new ideas, and lateral thinking.
(TBC)