Author Topic: antique wheel  (Read 923 times)

Spuds

• New
antique wheel
« on: September 07, 2016, 04:48:06 PM »
Hi guys - I just bought an antique ( well its old and beat up anyway lol ) 32" wheel - no markings on it - but it is very dirty and the spin seems a bit slow - what is the best way to clean the various parts?  also should I lubricate this and if so whats your recommendation?

any suggestions are VERY welcome -

Thanks !!

The following users thanked this post: kav, Reyth, MrPerfect.

kav

• www.Roulette30.com
  • Administrator
Re: antique wheel
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 04:50:55 PM »
Hello Spuds and welcome to the forum.

The following users thanked this post: Spuds

Sheridan44

• Mature Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:36:23 PM »
Hello Spuds and welcome...

Some vintage roulette wheels are quite rare and can be valuable. You might want to examine the wheel  to check some things like the manufacturer /  serial numbers / other identifiers. In the roulette art and oddities thread I have posted an example of a very rare American "eagle" wheel. Oddly enough if it turns out to be a rare variety....it is worth more in the eyes of many astute collectors if left in its current "natural" state, with no modifications.

Should it be a more "common" type... a cleaning and upgrade might be a good idea. There should be some information online for collectible roulette wheels - and possibly some cleaning tips - a google search might be a good place to start.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:44:10 PM by Sheridan44 »

The following users thanked this post: kav, MrPerfect., Spuds

MrPerfect.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 10:23:32 PM »
 To clean wood parts try 1:4 window cleaner / water solution. Buy rw40 general purpose oil for lubrification of bearings. Posting a photo would be good idea to begin with. Pm me your Skype,  l would like to look at it and see if it's in working order.

The following users thanked this post: kav, scepticus, Sheridan44, Spuds

Janusz

• New
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 01:19:20 PM »
To clean wood parts try 1:4 window cleaner / water solution. Buy rw40 general purpose oil for lubrification of bearings. Posting a photo would be good idea to begin with. Pm me your Skype,  l would like to look at it and see if it's in working order.

Sorry MrPerfect,

but never ever do this to wood or mechanical parts.

woods always clean with vinegar essence (5%) and water (95%)
Never ever use RW40 because it contains additives which plaque on the material.

The following users thanked this post: kav, Sputnik, scepticus, Reyth, lucky_strike, Spuds

Spuds

• New
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 11:59:41 PM »
Hello Spuds and welcome...

Some vintage roulette wheels are quite rare and can be valuable. You might want to examine the wheel  to check some things like the manufacturer /  serial numbers / other identifiers. In the roulette art and oddities thread I have posted an example of a very rare American "eagle" wheel. Oddly enough if it turns out to be a rare variety....it is worth more in the eyes of many astute collectors if left in its current "natural" state, with no modifications.

Should it be a more "common" type... a cleaning and upgrade might be a good idea. There should be some information online for collectible roulette wheels - and possibly some cleaning tips - a google search might be a good place to start.

Thanks  !!!  I searched a ton and could find nothing - no markings at all except all the parts have the number 1538 on them - if I knew how to pop some pics on here I would, but I don't know if that would help or not lol

Spuds

• New
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 12:00:58 AM »

Sorry MrPerfect,

but never ever do this to wood or mechanical parts

Thanks  Janusz !! - what would you use to lubricate?

Janusz

• New
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 10:41:14 AM »

Thanks  Janusz !! - what would you use to lubricate?

donĀ“t lubricate at all

When metal meets metal only use graphit powder like you use with keys and locks

MrPerfect.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »

Sorry MrPerfect,

but never ever do this to wood or mechanical parts.

You can use vinegar as well, industry use 1/4 window cleaner. I use it myself, up till now it's OK. 
  As for lubrication of bearings , graphite powder??? It's very original idea, you should patent it, if not someone will use for free ;)

Reyth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 05:59:20 PM »
Thanks  !!!  I searched a ton and could find nothing - no markings at all except all the parts have the number 1538 on them - if I knew how to pop some pics on here I would, but I don't know if that would help or not lol

If you can upload the photos to your desktop, you can host the photos at tinypic.com and then display those images using the  IMG tags in this forum.

Sheridan44

• Mature Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 09:49:07 PM »
There has been some posting on EBay of vintage wheels....this could possibly be used to locate an exact or closely related specimen. Pricing might be another issue as it may differ from the "market" or auction estimated values.

The following users thanked this post: Reyth