Author Topic: UK Brexit - opinions?  (Read 3103 times)

Bayes

• Veteran Member
  • roulettician.com
UK Brexit - opinions?
« on: June 22, 2016, 04:11:02 PM »
Tomorrow UK citizens (including me) will be voting on whether to stay in the European Union. FWIW, the bookies are betting on "Remain" although the polls are too close to call.

I must confess I'm still undecided as there are good arguments on both sides. Any opinions on this? Any of you continental Europeans give a damn about the result one way or the other?  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Reyth

Reyth

• Global Moderator
Re: UK Brexit - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 04:15:50 PM »
Based on a particular documentary on the EU that I have seen and due to my understanding of international politics, any country that is in the European Union needs to remove themselves if they wish to retain their autonomy long term.

If you want your country to be run 100% out of brussels, then, by all means, remain in the EU!

Based on what I have heard, the EU is like the peer pressure of a school yard mob, where every member fears the penalties associated with being ostracized from the group.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:20:26 PM by Reyth »

The following users thanked this post: Bayes

Bayes

• Veteran Member
  • roulettician.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 04:39:02 PM »
If you want your country to be run 100% out of brussels, then, by all means, remain in the EU!

Thanks Reyth, I'm leaning in that direction. There has been "scaremongering" on both sides of the debate, with the remain camp (backed up by "experts") insisting that there will be dire economic consequences for the UK if it leaves.

But I think the decision should be based on principles, not on what may or may not happen in the short term from an economic point of view. And the EU doesn't seem like a very democratic setup to me - faceless bureaucrats who we can't even vote out if we don't like the policies. I'm against "big" government anyway and all forms of statism because by their very nature they're inflexible and cannot respond to or make decisions based on local needs.

"Take back control" is the slogan of the leave camp. Seems reasonable to me.

Reyth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 04:43:26 PM »
Britain leaving the EU would be catastrophic for that governing body.  Knowing how "that side" of politics operates, expect to find massive amounts of voter fraud.

Jesper

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 04:50:46 PM »
EU has problems, but leaving is worse, if a solution is not to be the 51 th star, as only US will be left, which is on downfall. EU got the same risk, will be less than 5% of the worlds population soon, and WHY they close the borders.

Reyth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 05:12:19 PM »
EU has problems, but leaving is worse

Not joining was the proper solution but since a country has joined, they must suffer the conseuqences of separation, whatever they may be but on no score do I hold that to be worse than remaining within the EU.

Sure, if you don't value your distinct identity as a country, then staying in the EU is just fine.

Sputnik

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 05:27:05 PM »

I hope UK stay with EU - i see it best for all parts.
 United we are stronger - my opinion.

Cheers

Jesper

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 05:27:29 PM »

Not joining was the proper solution but since a country has joined, they must suffer the consequences of separation, whatever they may be but on no score do I hold that to be worse than remaining within the EU.

Sure, if you don't value your distinct identity as a country, then staying in the EU is just fine.

I feel I am European, hard to swallow now, it is a lot of  so called (racistic) problems, but Europe will be the continent having 5% of the worlds population soon, if we do not can handle immigrations. Europe can be at worst the oldhome of the world.

kav

• www.Roulette30.com
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 05:27:36 PM »

Not joining was the proper solution but since a country has joined, they must suffer the conseuqences of separation, whatever they may be but on no score do I hold that to be worse than remaining within the EU.

I agree with Jesper.
Leaving is much worse than not joining.
As for "distinct national identities" I'm really sorry to say that IMO this battle is (probably already) lost. For various reasons and for every country, US included.

Reyth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 07:59:06 PM »
This is where history is made in mindsets and decisions on issues like this.  I come from a mindset that it is worth dying for one's principles.

I don't expect many to agree with me but one day many will regret joining the EU.

Reyth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 08:35:23 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO4Ayo4mYZg

And this is ONLY THE BEGINNING; it will get worse from here, much worse.

The following users thanked this post: Sheridan44

sqzbox

• New
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 10:11:38 PM »
Surely the EU is nothing more than the political equivalent of a cartel. And there is general acceptance that that is a bad thing. As was stated already - Britain should never have joined in the first place.

When Britain joined, she effectively abandoned the commonwealth countries. The EU demanded, for example, that all trading should be done with them and so contracts were simply cancelled. NZ, for example, were simply kicked into touch and our contracts with Britain to buy our primary produce such as butter were simply cancelled. We were in deep trouble for a while as a result. Did Britain (or that useless person sitting on the throne) do anything? Or even care? Nope. We were abandoned. Yet the royals have the cheek to continue travelling around the commonwealth as if we still matter to them. Talk about two-faced!  Man, I'm still angry about that.

If you look at the financial manipulations around the broke countries such as Greece, you will see that the so-called financial assistance is rubbish. Loans structured such that Greece will never recover. It is all part of the manipulation for financial control by the banking community.

I believe that soon (in 2017?) you will lose control of your police and armed services. Why on earth would any country allow that to happen? Leaving will hurt but that is the price of the mistake that was made by joining. Soon there will be nothing left of the Great in Great Britain. It will just be Britain - one of the subjugated sovereign states.

Reyth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 11:28:37 PM »

Sheridan44

• Mature Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 12:31:17 AM »
Countries that line up behind one currency (or one of anything for that matter).....too many eggs in one basket, never a good idea. Competition discouraged.  Monopolization = more control = dictatorships.

Jesper

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 12:37:28 AM »
Countries that line up behind one currency (or one of anything for that matter).....too many eggs in one basket, never a good idea. Competition discouraged.  Monopolization = more control = dictatorships.

Common currency came too early. It have to be an Union more than by name before that should work.

The following users thanked this post: Reyth, Sheridan44