Author Topic: Is there free will or are we slaves of our dna?  (Read 1543 times)

thomasleor

• Mature Member
Re: Is there free will or are we slaves of our dna?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 08:35:21 AM »

Interesting post, Kav. So what exactly made those fingers of yours type this post? Your genome, brain and its psychophysiological functions put aside, was it free will combined with a measure of desire and inspiration (extracted from the ancient lat. word in spiritus), or was it a higher power, or a more sinister one?

Few people on this planet know their true nature and what really makes them able to move around their bodies in accordance with a will too obscure to identify its true origin. If you do, then you are truly on par with the old Greek philosophers. If not, then you are in the same boat as the rest of us, sailing towards destinations beyond our purview, but certainly within our will and desire to explore.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:40:41 AM by thomasleor »

The following users thanked this post: kav, Reyth

Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 09:13:23 AM »
Funny this topic should come up because I just watched a documentary last night which has some relevance, and also to gambling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQX8I6pNCKA

Enjoy.

The following users thanked this post: kav

MrPerfect.

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 12:28:03 PM »
TRuth is  ... we are able to free will, at least some of us and we are slaves of our dna.
    Good news are: dna is not written on the stone and it's changing during our life..  can be manipulated with consient effort. 
    Bad news: effort should be continuos and many are not able to produce it.
    Genetically l should be fat.... but lm slim and atletick..  l took efort to rewrite my dna and l do not mind to teach others how to do it.
   Anyone with some free will left and 1k gbp to spare, pm.

The following users thanked this post: Reyth, MickyP

MickyP

• Mature Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 03:23:37 PM »
To be honest, that was  hard pill to swallow. Change our dna! This would be like changing your fingerprints. Good for criminals...

But to be sure, I Googled the topic and briefly browsed through some natural science sites. According to what I read, you are right MrPerfect.
Dna can be manipulated/changed to improve health.
What does this say about dna tests as evidence in a court of law; especially cold cases that happened decades ago? Maybe I misunderstood,  it can be altered to a point but not changed entirely.

The evolution of knowledge: Today's facts are tomorrow's fiction. This just proves that theory again.

Wow!

The following users thanked this post: Reyth

MrPerfect.

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 05:45:24 PM »
You probably can not become entirely different organizm..  but few things you obviously can change. Especially if you know how.

The following users thanked this post: Reyth, MickyP

heatmap

• Mature Member
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2017, 11:39:34 PM »
Overall in life, the combinations and permutations of physical options and abilities that human beings have is in our minds practically limitless. Although we are limited by our physical abilities, the sheer amount of options we do have should be enough to convince one person that life is a very worth while thing to experience, whether the experience is bad or not.

The following users thanked this post: Reyth