Author Topic: Playing a Good System  (Read 3361 times)

Romn.Paras

• New
Playing a Good System
« on: November 20, 2014, 09:25:40 PM »
Hello All.  I wanted to share with you all an excerpt from the book "Ten Days at Monte Carlo at the Banks Expense"
I find this book fascinating reading and it makes a wonderful point about playing any system. 

To quote the book, "A very essential point about a good system is simplicity.  The more elaborate and complicated your system may be, the more certain it is to fail.  There is no doubt that the croupiers will be on the look-out for the moment when you begin to get into deep water, and then, by spinning quicker than usual, they will prevent your working out any elaborate calculation to arrive at the amount to be staked.  They will flurry and bustle you, and endeavor to make you lose your head and your temper, at critical moment, and from what I have seen myself and from what players themselves have told me, it is very certain that they often succeed. 

It is no use people attempting to play a system unless they are specially qualified to undertake it.  A few indispensable qualities are, a clear head, unlimited faith in the system, dogged perseverance, the best of good tempers, and plenty of pluck. Anyone who does not possess all of the above qualifications, in addition to a few others, had better leave systems alone; for to play a system impatiently, timidly, or with insufficient capital is quite the surest way to lose."

"Most systems fail because the stakes are increased too quickly: the player gets into big figures, strikes a run against himself, and is either defeated by the maximum, or from want of capital."

"The fact of the matter is that he is too greedy, and has not the sufficient patience.  If he commences by losing, he is in too much of a hurry to get his money back.  If he wins, at first, he stays on at the tables too long and exhausts his good luck, winning small sums, and when the bad luck sets in, he begins playing high stakes and losing."

This is valuable advice and it is amazing that it was written in 1898.  I think there is a lot to be learned from this book and do highly recommend reading it. 

albalaha

• New
Re: Playing a Good System
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:42:27 AM »
"Most systems fail because the stakes are increased too quickly: the player gets into big figures, strikes a run against himself, and is either defeated by the maximum, or from want of capital."
               I do not agree with this. Quick or slow increase doesn't matter. You are expected to lose even if u play flat bet. Unless you have a clear logic of the increase and decrease of the bet and an unambiguous vision of the probability that you may need to handle, all kind of money management will fail you. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:38:57 AM by kav »

kav

• www.Roulette30.com
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 07:40:06 AM »
               I do not agree with this. Quick or slow increase doesn't matter. You are expected to lose even if u play flat bet. Unless you have a clear logic of the increase and decrease of the bet and an unambiguous vision of the probability that you may need to handle, all kind of money management will fail you. 
What do you mean by "clear logic", give an example. You are too vague in all your posts.

albalaha

• New
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 05:06:01 AM »
What do you mean by "clear logic", give an example. You are too vague in all your posts.
                 I have been crystal clear all over. What you do not understand, "clear" or "logic"?
I meant to say, unless you have a reasoning to increase or decrease your bets that is justified by probability, it won't help. If I increase my bet at Point "A" and point "A" has losses, out of proportion, instead of helping, it will put me in a well. Same thing happens to a martingale player. Since we have no way to estimate that, even slightly, we remain at same expectancy to win by increasing bet as keeping it flat or it can even push us backwards towards the table limit or end of our bankroll or courage to recoup.

kav

• www.Roulette30.com
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 01:31:13 PM »
I do not understand what exactly you suggest by referring to 'logic". Logic is a vague notion. What does logic means to you in the specific context of a roulette system. Can you describe a single example of your so called logic applied to a roulette system?

You point out the problem, but offer neither alternatives nor solutions. Not even specific examples of solutions.